Martha Thinks

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

On Valentine's Day

Valentine's for the classroom. Check. Valentine's for my kids. Check. Valentine's with friends - double check! We sought refuge from the cold on this day of pink and red and exchanged cards, chocolate and flowers. We caught up, supported good news, talked about kids in college and kids in elementary school. We talked about jobs and clothes and The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. Girlfriends, ROCK.

It was a happy day spending time together.

We moved from cafe to cafe drinking and snacking as we went. In Abraham's bagels in Newburyport, this little valentine appeared with her dad.
Our children were in first grade together. They are now freshmen in college and we are still great friends. When I moved to a different town 30 minutes away 7 years ago, I cried and cried and cried. Although the decision was well-thought out and I was even moving BACK to the town I grew up in...I have never felt so homesick in all my life. I think I kept taking the "north" exit on the highway for a year. Blessedly, though, they did not abandoned me and we have stayed important in each other's lives.

And I popped in here to find a Valentine's Day gift for Ronan. Another little growing pain happened when I realized that this store that he loved so much, that he would beg me to go into...he has now outgrown. There were little things here and there that he would have found cute but for the most part he has moved on. I think it would make him sad, too. Although I will keep that part to myself.

A little farther up the street I came upon a shop that sells all things British - including pink and red wellies! What a happy window display.

And for the son who has thoughts of attending college in the UK, a Union Jack Valentine this year.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment