Martha Thinks

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Meeting the "Wimpy Kid" author!


I am a big one for cutting things out of the newspaper, fun things to do, hear, see...and due to an already busy family life, we get around to about 10% of them.  So when I saw that "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" series  wicked famous author Jeff Kinney was going to be in Newburyport, I stuck a magnet on the clipping and put it on the white board.

Soon enough 10 year old Ronan took an interest and asked if he could go.  I had to work, so he and Rich went together.  I gave them the big speech about the long lines I've encountered with author signings (cookbook authors are like rock gods to the middle aged woman and the lines follow suit) and how they should bring a snack and water and a book to read.

Well they arrived early and had to wait about an hour, but that's not bad at all.  Ok, now to the fun part.  Ronan just loves the "Wimpy Kid" series.  In fact a year ago I helped him paint his Pinewood Derby car to look like the book.  We called it "Racer of a Wimpy Kid", so funny.  Well N-E-V-E-R in my wildest dreams did I ever think that Jeff Kinney himself would be holding the car!  Turns out, he's a scout leader himself and thought the car was great. 

So, son, the lesson here is that it's better to go out in the world and try then be afraid that there will be too many people, or the line will be too long, or you won't get to meet him.  Just give it a try and memorable things can happen. 
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment