Martha Thinks

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Halloween Howl


Can't imagine...from a parent's point of view...who was the first to hatch such an idea. Let's have an event called the Halloween Howl, plan games, prizes, food and decorate the heck out of the elementary school and invite all the students and their younger siblings to have the run of the place for two hours. But it has existed for the 8 years our family has been part of this school.



Of course, no event is perhaps more anticipated by the kids and well, kinda dreaded by the parents. It's wall to wall kiddos from babies all the way to 10 years old. Lots of games in the hallways, face painting, a dj, food in the cafeteria, two hours of rock and rollin' fun. Just back from this event, I am enjoying a glass of pinot noir right now. Ahhh, silence is golden, or does that just mean I am getting old? I hope not.

This scary old guy guarded the cafeteria and looked so real he did fool some of the kids!

And my "necromancer" in red with this 5th grade buddies are now the big kids in school. Enjoy this year boys, 'cause in the blink of an eye it will be time to start middle school where you'll all be low man on the totem pole again. I can't say that it's not hard ~ having history with my older sons ~ knowing that when I turn around again this 5th grader will be graduating from high school. Once again, I am trying to live in the moment and not get swallowed up by these passages that can sometimes knock me over with a feather if I think about them too much.

Go on outside and howl at the moon. I will howl right back.

No comments:

Post a Comment