Martha Thinks

Monday, July 26, 2010

Yankee Homecoming Day 1

For, I don't know...perhaps 20 years...we have been eating and enjoying our way through Yankee Homecoming in Newburyport. This year it runs from July 25 through August 1st. It is a week long festival of food, music, boat rides, arts and crafts all wrapped up in a beautiful setting. We used to live much closer, just a 10 minute ride away, and I'd just bring a cooler, some chairs and a blanket and wander about with the kids until Rich could join us for the concert at night. I also sold my handpainted shirts for 10 years at the craft fair, still held on the Tuesday of the festival. So it has nothing but great memories for me.
We now have a little routine of starting off at Abraham's Bagels in downtown Newburyport. They have the sweetest courtyard with tables and lots of shade. Ronan takes after his brothers...bring a book and it's all good.
The view of the Frog Pond at Bartlett Mall. It was "Old Fashioned Sunday" with you guessed it, food, music and fun. Thomas train rides for the kids, a Native American booth with costumes and dances, pony rides, antique cars and lots of hula hoops and penny candy. I am not sure how long the pond has been there but in my mind's eye I just can picture women from the turn of the century strolling along with their long dresses and parasols.
The always fun canoe-tilt. Who will get thrown in? It's like whack-a-mole on the water.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment