Martha Thinks

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Bon Voyage

We hear a lot about diversity in our world. Growing up in my town there was one African-American family and I didn't know them at all. Other than that it mostly consisted of Irish and Italian families. But over the past 20 years things have changed a lot, especially in the workplace.
Who would have thought that I would find the most diversity at my job! That I would learn so much about other cultures and their customs through selling clothing together in a department store? But indeed I have.
I had a going-away party last week for a co-worker who's husband is in the military and the family is moving to Colorado. At my house, my co-workers from Egypt, Jamaica, Africa, India, Mexico and St. John all gathered together to wish Marcia a fond farewell. The Indian women came dressed in their saris and we all got to see (and taste) their pride in cooking delicious Indian food.
When I hear the word "diversity" now I feel like I am really living and understanding it a little...one relationship at a time, in real life, not in a sound bite on tv.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment