Martha Thinks

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

My Excellent Adventure in Baking and Pastry


My first job was at Baskin-Robbins scooping ice cream to the point of exhaustion but the more fun part was decorating ice cream cakes. I was just 16 years old but learned all aspects of decorating ice cream cakes and loved it. I thought I would do something "with food" and did get into culinary college but didn't go. All these years later I am still interested in the field and working towards being a cake decorator again and making pretty things.

I am currently enrolled in a 4 week Intro to Baking class. It's great fun. First week: Pate a choux - otherwise known as cream puff dough. We made cream puffs, eclairs and even savory fillings. I made cream puff swans. Can you stand it? If there is a better way to spend four hours on a Friday morning I'd like to know about it!

Well I brought the little swannies home and as you can imagine, they didn't last long. But like good china, I don't think anything has to be saved for "later" or "special" and let them dig right in!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment