Martha Thinks

Sunday, August 29, 2010

It reminded me of my all-time favorite children's video, "Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day". and the rain
rain
rain
came
down
down
down
and once it did, it did not stop for 4 days. All summer, nary a drop. Our vacation week, a good old-fashioned Nor'Easter barreling it's way up the Maine coast. The older boys trying to stay dry. Hard to amuse teenagers in the rain.
So off we went to eat at the York Beach classic, The Goldenrod, the stalwart of York Beach.
And so happy was I to see the taffy-making machines whirring away giving us something to look at. My friend thought perhaps I was making up a story that the process is totally mesmerizing; the rolling of the taffy, the removal of the taffy, the insertion of the taffy in the roller machine which goes from wide to narrow pushing the little one-inch pieces of taffy down to be cut off and wrapped up in a piece of paper - getting neatly dumped in a bin.
But after 20 minutes or so she had to agree with me. It was a wonderful and fun way for the kids to spend some time on this blustery afternoon.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment